And Then There Were Seven & Me
Posted March 5, 2010on:
When Maggie was a very little girl, we used to practice counting steps as we walked up and down the stairs.
“One … two … three … four … five … six … eight,” she’d say.
“Maggie, you forgot seven.”
“I don’t like seven.”
It took some time, but I can say – proudly – that Maggie now includes seven whenever it’s needed.
Not a bad story for writing about seven on my radiation countdown.
What does having seven more treatments bring to mind?
Seven… I’m in seven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we’re down to seven radiation treats.
My apologies – and why do I always seem to need to make these apologies – to Fred Astaire for taking a perfectly good song and converting it for my own silly needs.
“Let us not assassinate this song further, Sue. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency Sue, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?”
This time I make my apologies to Special Council for the Army Joseph Welch who said something similar to U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy – of Wisconsin I might add – for his Communist witch hunts in the 1950s.
Boy, do I digress. And digress and digress and digress and digress and digress and digress. That would be seven digresses, a number that coincides with that magic countdown number.
Finally, I’m getting to review things that come in sevens. Drum roll please:
- Seven & Seven drink (or would that be 14?)
- Seven Dwarves (Sneezy, Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Happy, Bashful, Grumpy)
- Seven Years of good luck (or seven years of bad luck, but let’s not go there)
- Seven days of the week (you should know these things)
- Seven continents (North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia & Antarctica)
- Seven deadly sins (anger, pride, unchastity, vainglory, gluttony, envy, and avarice) I own some, not all.
- Seven virtues (faith, hope, charity, prudence, temperance, chastity, and fortitude) Got those.
- Seven Samurai (does not include John Belushi)
- Seven reindeer (not including Rudolph)
- Seven seas (Arctic Ocean, Antarctic Ocean, North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North
Pacific, South Pacific, and Indian Ocean)
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- Seven Wonders of the World: (Actually there are many lists of seven wonders. I’ll name seven lists: Natural Wonders of the World, Wonders of the Ancient World, Wonders of the Medieval World, Wonders of the Modern World, Wonders of the Underwater World, USA Today’s New Seven Wonders, New Seven Wonders of the World.
- Seven swans a swimming
And then I have discovered a list of seven compiled by Mohandas Karamand Gandhi: He called them the Seven Blunders of the World:
- Wealth without work
- Pleasure without conscience
- Knowledge without character
- Commerce without morality
- Science without humanity
- Worship without sacrifice
- Politics without principle
Enough said. Enough said. Enough said. Enough said. Enough said. Enough said. Enough said.